maxon has approximately 3,050 employees and is the worldwide leading provider of precision drives. These drives are in use everywhere from deep inside the earth to the surface of the planet Mars.
Manufacturing Engineer II
The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for the preparation, validation and implementation of validated, safe and cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with customer requirements, product specifications and quality standards. Recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods and controls, with a focus on LEAN. Priorities for this position are new product implementation, process improvement, problem resolution, project management and documentation. Support daily operations, troubleshoot equipment and processes, and mentor manufacturing engineering staff on best practices.
- Performs research, design and development of manufacturing processes, including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
- Designs in CAD (Creo), develops, tests, sources and cost-justifies various tools, fixturing, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods in coordination with the Product Engineering group.
- Collaborate and coordinate new/revised products launches with Engineering Services and Project Management departments.
- Performs P-FMEA analyses, Manufacturing-related Stage Gate activities and process validations with full documentation.
- •Initiates Engineering Change Orders and process manufacturing-related ECO actions.
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement and efficiency improvement.
- Provide support to Application Engineers and Inside Sales Engineers with cost analysis and expert opinion on manufacturability.
- Collaborate with the Purchasing and Quality departments to discover and develop suppliers for products and services.
- Set up/review material structures, process routings, and assembly instructions in ERP system and provide clarification and technical support as needed.
- Advises the Maintenance Technician on equipment calibration, repair and maintenance.
- Responsible for creating production cost estimates, as part of the RFQ process.
- Support the company’s LEAN efforts by:
- Implementing LEAN best practices in the development of equipment and operating procedures.
- Seeking opportunities for improvement and taking corrective action on his/her own initiative.
- Actively participating in the continuous improvement process, owning their idea through the PDCA cycle, including asking co-workers for their input.
- Immediately resolving a quality issue or seeking technical expertise to resolve the issue, if necessary.
- Performing 5S and housekeeping duties as required.
- General manufacturing engineering skills: fixture, tooling and production line design, CAD, GD&T, knowledge of manufacturing processes, analytical thinking, DFM
- Technical report & work instruction writing skills
- Statistical analysis (Minitab preferred) related to qualification, validation and production processes
- Risk assessment & Failure Mode Analysis
- Basic electric and electronics knowledge
- CAD (Creo preferred)
- Problem solving
- Time management and organization
- Strategic thinking
- Communication proficiency
- Initiative/results driven
- Time management and organization
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or related field.
- Strong analytical and manufacturing engineering skills.
- Proven experience, minimum of 3 years, in process development for medical, aerospace or similar regulated industries.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to create, read and interpret technical drawings and skills with CAD/CAM software.
- This job operates in a manufacturing assembly environment. The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to factory areas and manufacturing processes that may require the use of personal protective equipment.
- There is an expectation you will be comfortable working in a lab, assembly, or machine-shop area.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and stand for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, feel, and use repetitive motion. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions, such as in a typical production environment.
- This role can be physically demanding and requires the ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds
- This position will consist of training at maxon facilities in Switzerland and/or Germany for up to 1 year. Upon completion of this training, this position will assume responsibility of a line’s manufacturing engineering at the maxon precision motors facilities. Subsequent travel is up to 10% and includes local, national, and international with overnight travel required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
maxon is an equal opportunity employer