The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for the preparation, validation and implementation of optimized, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards, derived from risk and failure mode analyses. This position will be responsible for supporting the Special Production department within the Manufacturing group. The Engineer will recommend and implement production processes improvements, methods and controls, with a focus on LEAN. The Engineer will develop and maintain production structures and routes, work instructions, procedures and other manufacturing documentation. This position will support the Engineering Services department (product development) and daily manufacturing operations. Troubleshoots equipment and processes. Priorities include new product production preparation, problem resolution, project management, documentation and employee training.
Director of Operations
- Transfer Engineering BOMs to Manufacturing BOMs, define production routes and manufacturing documentation.
- Design, develop, test or source and cost-justify various tools and fixturing, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods in coordination with the Engineering Services group.
- Lead the development of various operations’ best practices, written work instructions and technical documents, including visual aids for more detailed processes.
- Responsible for creating production costs, bill of materials, routes and tooling specifications as part of the RFQ process.
- Generate production layouts - Plan and design machining and assembly processes. Maximize efficiency by analyzing layout of equipment, workflow, assembly methods, and work force utilization.
- Write and implement P-FMEA and process qualification and validation with full documentation.
- Provide support to Engineering Services and Inside Sales Engineers with cost analysis and expert opinion on manufacturability.
- Collaborate with the Purchasing department to discover and develop suppliers for product and services.
- Work independently and as a team member in root cause investigations and apply corrective, preventive and countermeasures accordingly.
- Support the company’s LEAN efforts by:
- Implementing LEAN best practices in the development of equipment and operating procedures.
- Seeking opportunities for improvement and taking corrective action on his/her own initiative.
- Actively participating in the continuous improvement process, owning their idea through the PDCA cycle, including asking co-workers for their input.
- Immediately resolving a quality issue or seeking technical expertise to resolve the issue, if necessary.
- Performing 5S and housekeeping duties as required.
- Designing tooling and fixturing, using common solid modeling software.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- High-precision assembly operations plus good metrology skills. Knowledge of laser welding a plus. Knowledge of high-precision machining operations a plus.
- An application-level understanding of electronics and wiring; experience with IPC workmanship standards for cables and wiring is a plus.
- Must be able to meet timeline objectives and balance priorities.
- Knowledge of the ISO quality standards as it applies to engineering and manufacturing.
- Must possess strong analytical skills and be detail oriented. Strong communication, facilitation and problem-solving skills. Able to conduct P-FMEAs on complex assemblies and assembly processes.
- Good written communication skills. Advanced report writing skills.
- Capable of transacting all necessary operations functions in ERP.
- Able to perform costing analyses.
- Knowledge of Lean Principles is highly desirable; this position will support and foster continuous improvements as an individual and team contributor.
- Affinity to working in an environment producing tightly-toleranced, high-quality products.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
- Proven experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to create, read and interpret technical drawings and skills with CAD/CAM software.
- Proven experience with programming machinery.
- New product/process development experience
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. There is an expectation you will be comfortable working in a lab, assembly, or machine-shop area. The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to factory areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. This role can be physically demanding and requires the ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and sit for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, feel, and use repetitive motion. The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities of their job. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions, such as in typical office or administrative work.
This position will require training at maxon facilities in Switzerland and/or Germany for up to a month in the first year. Subsequent travel is up to 10% and includes local, national, and international with overnight travel.
Source/author: maxon precision motors, inc. / Sep 14, 2020