This is an entry or early career level position working under ISO certified design and development procedures with the expectation that as skills develop, the Design Engineer (DE) will take on more responsibility and more complex projects.
The DE will coordinate and, as skills develop, independently handle projects for product (motor, gearing, encoder, etc) combinations and custom modifications requested by customers through Maxon Sales Engineers. These projects will vary in scope from simple modifications to existing product (for example welding pinions to shafts), to large organic design projects (for example subsystems for medical devices), which involve the integration of maxon technology to create a mechatronic system.
On larger Phase Gate projects, the DE will generally work on a project team under the direction of a project manager who will act as a mentor. The DE will be exposed to all aspects of the product development process and may be responsible for any of them. These include:
Initial assessment, quoting, interpreting customer requests into engineering specifications, engineering design and drawings, working with and sourcing vendors, prototyping, testing, documenting, statistical analysis, developing test protocols and fixtures (hardware and software), designing packaging , writing work instructions and coordination with/handoff to Quality and Manufacturing teams. Design reviews and brainstorms are commonplace and the expectation is the DE will learn to lead many of these meetings.
This is a hands-on role where you will have the opportunity and expectation to get into the Engineering Lab and on-site machine shop to fabricate/assemble prototypes, utilize 3D printers, and perform testing.
- Involvement in all aspects of design engineering work
- Understands and respond to customer requests, both verbal and written
- Designs product to meet all requirements
- Manage several projects at one time
- Prepare engineering estimates and schedules
- Prepare CAD models and engineering drawings, utilizing Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as needed
- Interface with Sales Engineers to determine all relevant requirements and constraints
- In conjunction with Manufacturing team, determine appropriate site for production, conduct design-for- manufacture sessions, and assist in creation of manufacturing instructions and tooling as needed
- In conjunction with Quality team, determine documentation, inspection, and qualification needs
- Work to continuously improve processes
COMPETENCIES / Experience
- Strong analytical and engineering technical skills
- Strong first principles backing in Statics, Dynamics, and Electromagnetism
- Ability to model and explain physical and engineering concepts in terms of First Principles
- Data acquisition
- CAD (Creo/ProE preferred)
- Full lifecycle product development
- Familiarity with the basics of GD&T
- Experience with machined, injection-molded parts (preferred)
- Time Management
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Skills in a machine shop a plus
- Experience with LabVIEW a plus
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Source/author: maxon precision motors, inc. / Jan 28, 2021