The Business Development Manager - Medical is responsible for the development and execution of a regional (US) business plan that is aligned with the global BU strategy. The BDM is the primary interface between the US sales organization and the global BU and provides guidance on target accounts, target applications and investment decisions. The BDM actively supports strategic accounts and opportunities to accelerate growth and increase the efficiency of project/opportunity execution (complex/non-COTS projects).
In close collaboration with sales engineers the BDM directly engages with customers and prospects and represents maxon at targeted industry events (in person and virtual) to increase maxon’s brand recognition and market presence. The goal of this position is to accelerate growth, expand our Share of Wallet and increase organizational proficiency to sell more complete sub-assemblies/sub-systems to the medical industry.
- Development and continued evolution of a regional (US) business plan. This plan includes clear goals on growth (revenue), target accounts, application focus, SWOT, and details the go-to-market strategy.
- Support the roll-out and execution of the business plan and ensure alignment with other MPM departments.
- Develop tracking criteria to report on progress and business success.
- Identification of strategic accounts and development of detailed account plans. Collaboration with sales on the definition of goals, activities and tasks. Many of these account plans will span multiple sales territories.
- Support strategic (complex/non-COTS) opportunities at medical accounts
- Help with qualification
- Collaborate with Application Engineering to generate feasibility studies, proof-of-concepts and demonstrations.
- Support the creation of proposals, and quotes.
- Help with pricing, negotiations and contractual questions.
- Coordinate all the resources (BU, Application Engineering, Maxon Engineering Teams, Partners) needed to successfully execute the project.
- Ensure profitability and leverage of the investment at other accounts and industries.
- Establish maxon (and yourself) as a thought-leader and increase maxon’s market presence and brand recognition (tradeshows, conferences, articles in trade publications, trade organizations).
- Elevate existing challenges and shortcomings to help increase the organizational competence required to meet our growth goals.
- Help with knowledge transfer (training) and the availability of sales enablement content (presentations, meeting preparations,)
- Consolidate market and customer feedback to ensure the local (US) market needs are included in the global BU strategy. This will help the BU to identify new application areas, define products, ensure we have the right value preposition and messaging in place.
- Business acumen and strategic thinking
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write a business plan
- Presentation skills
- Organizational skills and time management
- Problem solving/analysis
- Project management
- Initiative/Results Driven
- Financial management
- Technical understanding of motor and drive technology. Knowledge of maxon’s product offering and capabilities is beneficial.
Required education and experiences:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics Engineering or equivalent
- >8 years of experience in sales, business development or engineering leadership in the Motion Control, Medical Device or related industry
- Familiarity with FDA and/or MDR regulations
- Strong analytical skills and quick understanding of interrelationship of systems, components, and requirements
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with ability to simplify complex matters and communicate in the words of the end-user of a machine or device
- Microsoft Office functionality
- Work Environment
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and common software tools (MS Office, web conference tools, CRM,…).
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to factory areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and sit for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, feel, and use repetitive motion. The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities of their job. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions, such as in typical office or administrative work.
Travel is up to 50% will be local, national, and international with overnight travel required. Due the current health crisis caused by COVID19 we currently seeing reduced travel activity. Standard travel activity is expected to resume in the future.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
maxon is an equal opportunity employer.
Source/author: maxon precision motors, inc. / Sep 28, 2020