maxon has approximately 3,050 employees and is the worldwide leading provider of precision drives. These drives are in use everywhere from deep inside the earth to the surface of the planet Mars.
Engineering Technician - CAD Designer
The Engineering Technician – CAD Designer will have primary responsibility creating or modifying part and assembly models and drawings using CREO and integrating that data into CAD management software as well as Document Control software. As such, this role will create and execute Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) in an ISO 9001 design environment.
The majority of the work is creating or modifying assemblies involving motors, gears, encoders, and drive elements. This will involve selecting appropriate datums, tolerancing, and basic GD&T. There will also be the opportunity to build these skills.
Secondary responsibilities for the CAD designer will be to support development engineering on projects. This may involve lab work soldering, using engineering test equipment such as force/torque gauges, oscilloscopes, multimeters. The Technician will also have the opportunity to broaden their skillset to learn this equipment if desired.
This position will become the most familiar with certain processes and will have the opportunity to recommend process changes and improvements.
- Function in a team environment to create, update, and revise engineering models, drawings and specifications
- Create appropriate engineering notes, dimensions, datums, GD&T feature control frames, and tables in engineering drawings.
- Assess tolerances for various fits (press/slip/clearance)
- Juggle several projects at one time
- Communicate with Design and Manufacturing Engineers and Sales to clarify requirements, discuss capabilities, and ensure a manufacturable product.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
- Associate's Degree or Drafting Certificate preferred *Engineering Degree not required*
- Experience with CAD Software (Creo Preferred), creating part/assembly models and engineering drawings
- Experience with Controlled documents, ECOs, and CAD Management Software
- CAD Software to create models and drawings (Creo Preferred)
- Microsoft Word
- Working in both Imperial and Metric units and converting between the two.
- Appropriate datum selection for dimensions
- Understanding of mill/turning machining processes and the design/modeling constraints those processes create
- Ability to read and understand Engineering Drawings *Engineering degree not required*
- Ability to navigate large data management software
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Well, maybe not fax machines. It is 2023, after all.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to factory areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment.
There will also be times where you work in an electromechanical lab environment, utilizing electrical and mechanical test equipment such as force gauges, power supplies, oscilloscopes, multimeters, dynamometers, microscopes, et al.
You may also be asked to make minor modifications in a machine shop, using standard equipment (manual mill, lathe, drill press) under guidance of shop staff or senior engineers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, and sit for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, push, pull, lift, finger, grasp, feel, and use repetitive motion. The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities of their job. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions, such as in typical office or administrative work.
Travel is up to 5% will be local, national, and international with overnight travel possible.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
maxon is an equal opportunity employer